4 Insights
  1. I would love to hear your thoughts on corsets! I know I personally would never think of taking someone else's ideas without giving credit (if I find something awesome on a blog, I post a link to the blog on my site rather than quoting), but I know a lot of people do it and I'd hate for that to happen to your dis
    dissertation.

    I haven't looked into Tudor fashions, but I do have a general idea of what they look like. How is the fit of the gown incorrect in The Other Boleyn Girl? I was thinking of recreating one of the gowns, but I want to do it historically accurate. I'd love your thoughts on how the gown should fit and how the movie costumes were incorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally understand the dilemma about whether to share the dissertation research or not....i look forward to hearing what you decide.

    I am excited to see you start making some Tudor clothing....but the early 20th C clothing would be fun too! I think you should pick one time period and do all the layers from the inside out..just trying to decide which one to do first is hard.

    If you want to do some draping come to Cairo and you can practice on me! Actually I think you have watched me and J do it enough that you are ready to try doing it on your own. We can Skype if you have any questions.

    If you need any more ideas for your Chrismas booklist check out my list on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Costume Queen- Yeah, ethics with costume history blogging need to be laid out a bit better in my opinion. Technically, if you publish something on a website (like your blog) you should be protected by American copyright laws, at least. Some people might not mind having their information lifted and copied in someone else's blog (or having bloggers take someone's information from conversations, lectures, etc, and not cite it), but I am definitely not ok with it. As for pictures, I know I've been granted permission to use some images for non-profit academic work, which I guess my blog would qualify as. And there is also the whole thing of so many images are already floating around the net. I've used images before from WebGallery of Art, and I generally don't think it's an issue if you properly cite the image. If I wasn't concerned about my academic credibility, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

    As for Tudor, my one reccommendation for you is to watch Anne of the Thousand Days and compare that to The Other Boleyn Girl. When I speak of fit, I'm mostly regarding the heinous green dress that Natalie Portman wears. Also there's a serious issue with weird fabric choices and regional clothing infiltrating English courtwear (a Cranach gown, which is very German and shows no evidence of influencing French, Italian, Spanish, English Fashion as far as my research shows.) I can write more indepth about it in a blog, but I would just really look at Anne of a Thousand Days for Tudor Gowns that are more accurate in design and fit. The movie is great too! It's a favorite! :D'

    MMinC- I'll probably start with Tudor because I've been more interested in it for a lot longer, and I have the skills and patterns I need to make all the layers, plus I would really like to look into making a chemise with some nice blackwork on the sleeves etc. :) Time to put my Tudor Tailor book to use...Wanna help me shop for fabrics? :)

    We'll definitely be skyping about the draping. I think I can definitely do the front bodice and the sleeves, but I'm just a bit unsure about the backs...for obvious reasons. I would really like to try and drap a sacque back..jacket, gown, whatever. That's the only thing I haven't made it feels like! Once I finally manage to come to Cairo I'll be more than happy to use you as my guinea pig, or if I'm around in August in Williamsburg! :D

    Thanks for the book list too by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope you decide to share what you've learned about stays! I am new to the hobby and just learning and research is slow going. I am trying to figure out the differences between stays, jumps, waistcoats and who wore what and when. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete