Mon Petit Ami Incroyable
So, I got to do a fitting today with Fredrik...in...everything... Clearly it's not finished yet, but it's definitely a solid sneak preview to the finished product!
I took pictures of him in layers of dressing with some detailed photographs of his breeches since they're finished. I need to work on his shirt, it's too long and he has a lot of extra fabric down there...
This is Fredrik in his shirt and breeches, in a messy flat...please ignore the mess.
Close up of the front of his breeches. They're brown knit with 5 covered buttons and 2 real woven leather buttons. He keeps popping that bottom button out and I don't like that..I wish he would stop. The waist band was too short, so I had to add extra on either side. However I don't think it's that noticable, so I'm not concerned anymore.
This is just a close up of his leg and the details. The breeches finish just below the knee, even though the look we were going for could have finished as far down as the calf. His legs being so long, it's easier and even more enlongating to end them at the narrowest part of the leg, just below the calf. It is also period for the 1790s to start tieing the breeches with ribbon bows instead of buckles. This means less work...making Abby a happy girl. :)
I've cropped out the messy flat. He's so tall it's hard to get a good shot of him in the room. This is the coat (i die.) It's currently all basted together, and the sleeves are done up. Before I'm finished with it, I still, obviously, have a lot to do, but I really have to shape the bottom, it's very squared off.
I've done 2 of the back seams so far. They have been whipped stitched down, and i still think the coat has some extra room in the back (even though Fredrik's terrified that he's going to bust through the fabric a la the Hulk. I take that as a sign it fits. har har). So what I think I'm going to do is do a tight back stitch below the whipped stitch. Not only will that help take in extra fabric and create a smoother seam, but it will also strengthen the seams so Fredrik wont turn into 'the Hulk'
Here's a close up of what's going on up close. Nice wide flaps of the fashion, nice wide flaps of the waist coat. I am so happy with how nicely the colors come together. Anyways- I need to topstitch the flaps together, attach the back to the front, attach the sleeves, finish the sleeves, finish the back pleats, and add the lining. We pinned two of the amazing new buttons onto the front to get an idea of what they'll look like on. The only thing that hasn't been attached to for your viewing pleasure is his collar, but I'm still trying to figure that out.
I really need to fix his shirt, but it's just not high on the priority list (aka I'll probably hack off the extra fabric that night and not stitch it down). But I need to finish the coat and then attach all those buttons to the waistcoat...which will take a while. At least the breeches are done!
Oh and I need to hem his cravat too. Hopefully he'll have time to fix his shirt and hem his cravat. Those are good jobs for him...
Now it's time to get back to sewing!