4 Insights
  1. So I *had* to do a collection search for "portraits", and, yeah, I see what you mean! LOL! I wouldn't want to be alone in a dimly lit room with some of these portraits watching me... Their eyes following me everywhere...

    But what a lovely recourse for costumes! I too have been disappointed with the lack of digital museum objects on the Williamsburg site so this was a very pleasant surprise. I thank you kindly for pointing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to CW three times now, the last I was able to wear my 1770s gown and ride in a carriage with my friend who works there. We also visited the Costume Design Center, where I was in heaven.
    I'm glad you found this link and shared it. I'm going to do a little research there myself.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madame Berg: Yeah Folk art portraits of the American type are just damn creepy. I hate them. They scare me. I've been in the museum when there really hasn't been anyone around...I prefer not to think about it. :) But yes, it's so great that they are finally up to date with posting their collection online...the pieces in the collection are just outstanding...:)

    Val: The summer I spent working at CW will continue to be my favorite summer and memory until I am able to return to CW in a paid position...one day..when..I'm not sure...but one day! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and if you do research with Linda Baumgarten (Curator of Costumes and Textiles) enjoy yourself...she's lovely and so is Kim who is the Asst Curator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed this link back here because I just got back from the Costume Accessories Symposium in W'burg, and got to see the Head to Toe costume accessories exhibit that Linda put on. She lectured more extensively on it during the symposium, and I took the Behind the Scenes tour afterwards. I loved how they displayed everything so much, I talked to Linda about my donating an 1830s pelerine (I know you hate that year) I have to the museum. Our local museum in San Diego doesn't display things that far back, and right now everything is just in storage and not photographed. Damn shame!
    I've written up the 18th c muff making workshop I took there on my blog, and hope to have more on the conference there later.
    Val

    ReplyDelete