9 Insights
  1. Sorry, I really don't intend to be a wiseacre...but 1783 wasn't exactly the height of civility in public discourse. A few years before, people were being tarred and feathered in Boston. A few years after, people were being guillotined in Paris. All because of different factions in politics.

    The point I'm trying to make is that being a history buff is kind of like being a grammarian: we'll always find the present tense and the past perfect. Men and women have always squabbled, struggled, and fought over the things that matter to them with the same fervor and strength of opinion you see nowadays. It's just the intervening centuries that make one era's struggling and squabbling seem somehow better than this era's, because we have the luxury of being able to look at their problems dispassionately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you, except I want to be in a country estate in England in 1795. My thoughts are always drifting to the 18th century. I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa and I hope he mends soon. It's always a shame when real life encroaches on said 18th century dream world. I'm in the throws of real life myself. :-) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hear you on the wishing for the past bit...though I know a lot about life 200 years ago and recognize how irrational it is. I just feel there would be a deeper satisfaction to much of the work (deeper, I suppose, than formatting yet another spreadsheet). Not to mention I look better in the clothes. :) I wonder what they would think of our lives...would they wish for our convenience or pity our detachment and lack of sensibility and terrible fashion sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louisa- 1783 was a random date selected, in between everything (plus I think that date sticks out because a lot of my favorite images are dated that year). But it's not like we don't have similar issues in the world today. Bombs going off, random killings on the street for no reason, brutal beatings, kidnappings, etc. I can only imagine what the history books will say 100 years from now. The 18th century was a turbulent period (all centuries are, somewhere for someone..it's just how it is), but my point was, is even with all of their issues, I'd still like to go back. Just like today, not everyone would be directly affected by all the horrors of that century just like I am not seriously affected today. It's not like everyone was tarred and feathered or suffered losses from the Revolution(s). However, there is no question that the clothes were supremely superior to the rubbish we wear today. I was merely commenting on something we all think about. :)

    Lauren- I'd take a country estate in England in 1795 too! ;) Thanks for the well wishes..he's a fiesty old man. :)

    Rowenna: Exactly. It's like modern common sense says, "no pain killers. shorter life span. women's lack of rights. etc" but then I go, "a focus on deportment and proper social behavior, wit, simplicity, beauty, natural(ness) (<--in regards to no plastic, man made foods, etc). calmness, no rat race." then I go, 'no tampons, no penicillian, no ben and jerrys!' and then I go the opposite way.

    I do think they would be shocked by our clothing (lack there of, quality, fit, bodies, etc) but would be interested in all of our modern things. But I also believe the modern general population would be found to be harsh, uncultured, and crude. The search for that satisfaction in life..other than a spread sheet, hehe, is something I think our society is missing...and I do think that why so many of us find so much gratification from sewing and reenacting, it allows us to focus on something that we are creating with our own hands. That completion of a project that is not only *functional* but beautiful is deeply rewarding. We don't have a lot of that today by modern standards. That's why I'm such a fan of Tasha Tudor I think... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaw, please stay with us in this century, you're very much needed! I'm so sorry about your grandpa. Hips are tricky but I've seen them cure wonderfully on older persons. It's good that Fredrik will be with you soon, I hope he'll help you relieve some stress :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby and ladies, we are what a group of lady friends and I call: Old souls. We see the beauty of life whether it is past or present. That is why it is so hard for us to face and process the chaos that is happening around us. Had we been born in the 18th century we would also find it hard to deal with the lack of compassion, hope and joy since it was not always as romantic as literature and movies have interpreted.

    Yet, through our love of history - seeing, feeling and understanding the beauty that each time period has given the world, we can synthesize it into our own way of living. A colleague of mine shared her motto - 'Do not let anyone steal your joy." With that always illuminating my way, I try very hard to live my joy and share it with others.

    As fellow historians and costumers, ladies, we are sharing our joy - thank God for blogging - we have a community of 'old souls' who can live now and live their joy.

    Best wishes Abby and ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think what we need are personal time machines so we can nip back and forth and back again - how handy that would be. I'd also like a switch on it that allows me to go to fantasy worlds for a bit of adventure and literal magic, please, scientists - get inventing! Thanks!

    Abby - I hope your grandfather is improving and huzzah for the return of your gent :)

    And, Angela - amen to that and huzzah for online communities ... something about the 21st century that I am most grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there comes a time in just about everyone's life where we wish life was just plain simpler. Whether one yearns for the 19th century, 18th century or 17th century, whatever your heart desires, we find an escape in our fantasies and dream of a life where everything is perfect.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. MBerg: Unless I meet Dr. Who and become his next companion (Fredrik will understand...I think?) I guess I'll be stuck in this century....No worries! My grandfather's break was luckily the upper femur so there was no damage to the hip joint. He's doing well, just giving the nursing home nurses hell...haha. Fredrik did relieve some stress, now we're waiting for our case working in Goteborg to contact him so I can finally get my visa! I'm ready to become Swedish! :P

    Angela: Agreed. Lovely comment. Thank you. :)

    GWT: Agreed agreed agreed! I would totally save up for one! :) My grandfather is improving and Fredrik's visit wasn't long enough. :)

    F Antiques: Yes, exactly. I think at the core, some things were just simpler. Whether due to ignorance, cut and dry facts of life, or lack of technology. They all have their perks and downfalls. I often look at the Amish in their horse carriages and go 'If it wasn't for the ugly fabric and strict moral/religious codes, I would love to be Amish!' :) The dream of an easy simple life is always enticing. :)

    ReplyDelete