7 Insights
  1. I just wrote a literature review that touches on the topic of recreating costume. The focus was literature in textile conservation but I can point you to a citation that you might find interesting or helpful.

    Dancause, Renée, ‘Reconstruction, Reproduction, Replication, Re-Creation: Synonyms in the costume history and textile conservation literature? A matter of perspective’, Textile Specialty Group Postprints, 16, (2006), 41-53.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really interesting paper - I look forward to seeing what you find out.

    I have responded, though as a very slack blogger lately and a very lax costumer, I'm afraid my comments/responses won't be of much use.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renna: Thank you! I really appreciate your help!! :D

    GWT:Thanks! I'm glad to see you posting again. I know what you mean though. I've got NOTHING to talk about. Zip. Nada Zilch...unless you want to see me sit around in a flat in Sweden wearing slippers and watching How I met your mother. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would absolutely love to see more information on things relating to this - the intersection of costuming and public history! I'm currently in the middle of doing a massive senior thesis project on public history and the applied history of clothing and needle arts, and it's so frustrating seeing how little interconnection there is between hands-on experimentation with historical clothing, and the academic world - or even the museum world!

    I'm hunting the blogosphere for things like this! If anyone happens to know of anything (really, anything!) relating to this, or does any kind of similar research, I'd love to know about it. I can be emailed at this Google account.

    Anyway - I think it's wonderful that you're doing this paper, and I did the survey, complete with many overly detailed comments. I hope you'll post about how it goes with your paper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE this photograph!! I've been looking at your "this is sweden"' blog about fifty times a day waiting to read some updates only to find the health care part 2 still hanging out on top. I didn't even think to look at this blog!! And now, I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi you're silly. Since I'm moving back to the US, I really have nothing to write on the other blog. It needs a total makeover. This blog needs a makeover. I would like a makeover.

    At least do some decent clothes shopping, preferably at Anthropologie, but that's beside the point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ava- Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I get flightly...

    Have you spoken or tried to contact Colonial Williamsburg's trades people? The Milliners/Mantua makers and Tailors would probably be very helpful in your research. If you have any questions, of if you think my research could be of any use to you, I'd be more than happy to help in anyway I can. You can email me at abbyelyn at gmail dot com. You can also find the millinery shop at CW on facebook, if you want to start asking questions to them. :)

    ReplyDelete