16 Insights
  1. Dear Abby,

    First, you're from Louisville? Excellent! My husband and I escape there for amazing food and b and b's. A super town.

    Second, thank you for the fine tutorial. What an ingenious stitch. It's so cool looking, and so straightforward! No wonder you loved it.
    Thank you so much again,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Natalie! I hope this was helpful for you and that if you want to use it one day it will work out well for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think I saw this described with line drawings somewhere and I just couldn't grasp it. This is clear as crystal and faboo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it weird that I want to try this as soon as I get home? Yeah...

    PS--read your About Me section and have to squee a little--I'm an IUB alum, too :) History and French major (eighteenth century self-imposed concentration :) ) I still live in Btown until my husband finishes here. And...I took Prof. Pace's Paris and Berlin class--loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MBerg: What did they call this stitch, do you remember?

    Rowenna: I don't think it's weird at all :)

    ...I AM SO JEALOUS YOU ARE STILL LIVING IN BTOWN. I die. I miss it, desperately. Best city in Indiana by far! Paris and Berlin was great, I was taking art history classes at the same time that completely correlated with the P&B class, which made the whole semester awesome. He was supposed to do a study abroad trip to Paris where you would take time to walk around places listening to the music, etc to help take you back to the period and gain better insight. I never knew if he actually did it or not, but it sounded...awesome. What's your husband study?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you SO much for posting this! I've also read about this a bit, but it was kind of puzzling. This is really helpful! I'll use it in my next pair of stays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abigael: You're welcome! However, I don't think I would recommend this stitch for stays, you would want to do a standard whip stitch, maybe with double thread. It needs to be a really strong stitch and I don't think this one would hold up well from the stress of stays. Now, if you're making a quarter back gown.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Abby, that would have been an amazing study abroad! I haven't heard anything about it, though...hopefully he got it off the ground! I still remember the "Nothing" song that he played as an illustration of Dadaism...lol. My husband is working on his PhD in Astronomy...which I know nothing about :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rowenna: Me too! I was super jealous when he told me about it, because it was supposed to happen after I graduated in 08. It was because of him I love Rosseau (the artist not the philosopher) and discovered Satie. The readings in that class were *stellar*.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How interesting! This actually looks similar to a stitch recommended for long construction seams of stays in the c1838 publication "The Workwoman's Guide." I finally parsed out what the instructions in the book (no illustration!) were saying by way of experimentation combined with extensive staring at seams like this:

    http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/1830corset/1820corset14a.jpg

    (That's from Katherine Caron-Grieg's site, Koshka-the-Cat, and it's an interior detail shot of her extant c1820-40 set of stays.)

    I saw this type of seam on most of the early 19th century (up to c1840) stays in the collection at Old Sturbridge Village, but we couldn't figure out what was going on. It was just this omnipresent wiggly seam that looked completely normal on the outside.

    I still need to do another mock-up fitting with my 1830s stays before I'll be getting into the final, hand-stitched stays, where I'll actually use this seam, but my experimental swatch of it, using layers of plain cotton utility muslin, was astonishing strong and stable. The basic gist of it is that you have the two outer layers and the two lining layers stacked, as for the seam demonstrated here, and then you do a whipstitch from one lining layer and through the two outer layers, coming up between the layers and skipping the other lining layer. Then you wrap around that (opposite) lining layer and start the process again in reverse, going through the lining layer and the two outer layers. With a waxed or otherwise sturdy thread, it has impressive results. Even for stays!

    Does anything like that show up in 18th century clothing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the excellent tutorial! I've run accross "le point a rabattre sous la main" stitching in my research several times lately and could not for the life of me visualize how to do it. I'm all fired up to try it on my next project now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Abby,

    today I've had the pleasure to finally give this "weird-running-whip-stitch" a try! What should I say: it was as if there's a magic spell on my needle for I couldn't stop sewing - it works wonderfully!
    Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial!
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know this is a bit errrmmm 'late' for me to respond to my now "defunct" blog, but I just wanted to point out that this stitch is *not* "point à rabattre sous la main" it is something completely different. "Point à rabattre sous la main" is a hemming top stitch most often used in the tailoring trade. A more in depth explanation can be found at "The Margaret Hunter Shop: Milliners and Mantuamakers" facebook page.

    Thanks so much!

    <3 <3
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  14. This stitch is actually used for the side seams in a pair of corded regency stays in a Swedish collection, and I've used it with good result for that. But otherwise it's mostly used in 18th century jackets and dresses here in Sweden. I love that stitch; fun to do, pretty result :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Abbey - You're wonderful - at last I've found a demo to explain what I see in my antique regency and 1780s garments! Thankyou - you can see pictures of my seams at http://aylwen.blogspot.com.au/search/label/seams
    Cheers, Aylwen

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, you RULE! I'm new to this historical sewing thing, and have been scrambling to find detailed explanations/diagrams/photos of some of these period stitch techniques! So glad I found this; thank you!!

    -Tracy G.

    ReplyDelete