15 Insights
  1. Thanks for sharing this with us, it's fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is fascinating, and it's good to hear that splints are available.

    A note on baleen. I have a natural-form era bodice that has some remnants of the original baleen in it. Since the bodice is damaged, the baleen is sticking out, so it's easy to examine. The material has become brittle with time. Otherwise, it's very close to what you have. If you'd like some photos and measurements, I will be happy to send them to you to use as comparisons.

    Very best,

    Natalie in KY where the sun is really shining, but naturally, it has gone cold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're enjoying it ladies!

    Natalie, I'd love to see pictures! You can email me at abbyelyn at gmail dot com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You called me out! Hahaha.

    Cable ties - the monster ones are awesome, nice and strong although not as stiff as balleen. The only thing is that your width is what you get, and that's 1/2" wide for the big ones. I suppose one could cut them down the middle, but what a pain. I use the big-ass zipties on the front and back, anywhere that will lace or take stress. For stays I use the 1/4" ones, which are flimsy but have power-in-numbers, so if it's a fully boned pair of stays, I'll do full channels at 1/2". Half-boned stays, more use of the biggies, like on all seams, or all-over. I use the big zipties in my Victorian corsets, too, and have never had a problem with discomfort, strength in cinching down, breakage, or becoming too bent/molded to the body, although there is some of that if you wear your stays a lot.

    That's my 2 cents. I've also used fatty hemp cord for boning, in Elizabethan bodies, and I know it was done quite a lot in Victorian corsets, in combination with steels. It's a great material, but I wouldn't use it for 18th c. stays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's *full channels at 1/4"* sorry, type-o

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muah ha ha ha! thanks dear

    (did you get the Ferris Bueller reference?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post!!!! Thanks for the comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, Abby, photos coming your way soon as I get off work!

    Very best,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried the stiffer plastic boning available from Farthingales? (91-8142-06 at the bottom of this page: https://www.farthingalescorsetmakingsupplies.com/products.php?cat=plastic+bones)

    I used it in my 18th century corset and really liked it, although it does tend to be thick. I have a leftover piece I can send you if you would like to add it to your comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Katherine!

    I am interested! Definitely! I can add it to this post so that way there is a fairly comprehensive comparison with the type of plastic boning you had!

    Can you email me at abbyelyn at gmail dot com ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Abby,

    Okay, the photos of the baleen from the natural form bodice are coming your way!

    Then it's out to shovel muck...yes, on Derby Day. How apropos. Actually it's horse-poop-rich mulch, but smells exaaaaactly like muck. Attracts flies, too. Nice.

    Very best,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  12. i hope you didn't stomp on my stays! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your posts on baleen! So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, please! Where did you get your baleen? I've been searching for quite some time and have come up empty.

    ReplyDelete