2 Insights
  1. Dear Abby,
    Your Aunt surely was talented. The darns she made were very good.My great Aunts darned, and my great uncle Ken did too. Because of them, I learned how; it's covered in numerous vintage and antique sewing manuals. It's basically weaving with a needle. You can use yarn or special darning thread, which I remember clearly, but is hard to get these days. It's weighty.

    My darns aren't very neat, but it's good to use on holes in knitted goods as well as in socks, and yes, I darn socks. Saves money, and if you watch tv or listen to the radio, can be done along with them.

    Very best,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men's tailoring blogs have good hand worked buttonhole instructions. It's fascinating to see the new popularity of handwork through blogs and the internet.

    ReplyDelete