7 Insights
  1. The molding is a good thing. I would never go back to metal boned stays either. And even though I'm sure it's a completely different thing them being caned and all, but I think I can imagine the joy you get from your perfectly moulded stays, because it's always delighted me too how my (now retiring stays) are all flared out and human shape even when they are not on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the land of the living :) I know what you mean about how a job plus the whole "being a grown up" thing can totally interfere with important stuff like sewing and blogs :) The stays are awesome--am jealous of your baleen! The only molding my metal-boned stays had was to eventually bend permanently, which is ironically less comfortable than not bending at all. I'm having better luck with plastics (even though the authenticity police in me cries a bit).

    Hope immigration comes through for you soon! What a difficult thing to have to wait for...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to explain to people the hygiene thing when you are wearing period clothes more than regular clothes and each day you get smokey and dirty.

    There's something about knowing you will only be dirty X hours later that just makes you not want to do laundry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're back! I love reading about your costumes! Nice stays- I have some linen in that colour, now I am even more excited to make it into stays. :-)
    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have been silent for a while as well as not taking a peek at other sites. Welcome back! Remind me what museum you are working at? One in Williamsburg? Anyway, good luck and keep those posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're back! I love reading your blog and have been a bit sad not seeing any updates in months (though understandably it's been crazy busy).

    Just want to say the stays look pretty hot on you too. Can I say that? I mean, I'm a girl too and until you showed me what one looked like last year, I never knew how cool and sexy they are.

    Anyway, glad things are going well for you.
    <3 sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I wanted to ask you about your baleen cutting process but can't figure out how to direct message you. Is there someway to do that? And I commented in the original post about the regulatory issues surrounding baleen (not to bring up a sore subject, but I did actually ask a NOAA enforcement agent and have actual real information based on the regulations)

    ReplyDelete