7 Insights
  1. These are amazing! You're making me itch to make new stays. I enjoy making them. There's something wrong with me. I like binding. But then again, I don't do the channels by hand. I really like this style too, since I have to make mine front lacing. Clever bit with the straps coming around to the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and they do look SO comfy! My next pair of stays will be front lacing, lol, even though hubby IS the "best ladies' maid ever"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been working on a pair of linen reed-boned stays for this summer and was looking at a strap set-up like that, so I'm glad to see it worked well for you! Where did you get real baleen? I check ebay and elsewhere online for legal stuff from the Inuit every once and a while, but I've never seen any. A few of us had a plan a few years ago to use the salvage laws in Nova Scotia to go harvest some from the next beached whale that washed up during the school term (yuck, but worth it), but we never had a chance. =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It made me giggle when you said nej, nej. :)

    They give a very nice profile, but isn't it funny how much a new stays pattern can alter your shape so much?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great! I wish you luck on wardrobe malfunctions (or preferably the lack thereof). I'm just about to start a new set today and had to laugh at the lining and bottom binding comments--3000% agree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love 'em! Really love the straps--brilliant. How do they wear over time--does the tape dig at all? Totally agree on lining and binding...since I can't get around binding, am I excused from lining my stays? Good, because I usually do...And there's a clear reason ladies in the period wore kerchiefs. Those things cover a multitude of potential malfunctions :) I was fitting a gown last night (so hanging around watching Star Trek and handsewing in stays...it happens...) and kept glancing at The Girls in the mirror and thinking "Shoot dang!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have the written pattern for these? I saw this picture on Pintrest and my heart and brain went "WANT!!" I have however never tried to sew something like this so if you have a novice friendly version that would be great. A friend suggested trying stays because I have so many problems with a corset. If one of you crafty ladies have a pattern to go with the above photos I would be really grateful, or if you could just point me in the right direction to find one for myself that would be great to. Thanks all!

    ReplyDelete